How to get your NIE in Valencia

Blog       How to get your NIE in Valencia

*The information below has been collected by helpHousing team. Please, keep in mind that we are not directly related to any legal or government office and the information may change. 

Living in Valencia is a great experience and every young international should have the opportunity to do it. That way you can learn not only a new language, but a whole new culture with its own traditions. 

To get settled in Valencia there’s something you need to do first: get a Spanish NIE (Número Identificativo de Extranjero).

If you decide to stay for a medium or a long time, getting a NIE in Valencia is the first thing you have to do, in order to obtain things such as a job or a telephone contract, or if you want to open a bank account.

Who needs to get the NIE number in Spain?

If you are from European Union and you’re planning to stay in Valencia for more than 90 days, and you are one of these cases, then you should get a NIE number:

  1. You work in a Spanish company or you are an intern in a Spanish company.
  2. You are a freelance or self-employed.
  3. You are a student you can apply for the student NIE (NIE estudiantil), only if you plan to stay for more than 3 months. 
  4. In case you have a Erasmus scholarship, you don't have to worry about anything!


There's two ways to obtain your NIE: apply for it when you arrive to Valencia or do it before, when you are still in your country.

You must follow these steps:

  1. In order to apply for your NIE, click here to request an appointment.
  2. Fill out the forms and send the documentation they ask you to send.
  3. Once you have done that, you will receive and email specifying the date and hour of your appointment. All you need to do is go to the office and bring all your documents with you.
  4. Pay the tax fee for the NIE.
  5. Show proof that you have made the payment when you go to the office on the day of your appointment.
  6. No more steps! Your NIE is ready.

Detailed proceedings for the NIE in Valencia

The first thing you have to do to apply for your NIE is to request an appointment. Where? At the Government official website, by clicking on this link and selecting «Certificados UE» among all the options. To continue, click “Aceptar”. It will redirect you to a new page where you can download and fill out  this form. Then type your informations such as your name and your passport number. The next thing you have to do is select the appointment “Solicitar cita”.

You will have to download and fill the tax form Tasa modelo 790 Código 012. Do it before you go to your appointment because that is the document you will have to show to proof that you have paid the tax. 

On the day of your appointment, when you go to the office (remember to bring all your documents with you), you will have to pick a number and wait for your turn. Once your NIE is ready, you will receive it within the next 5 days. 

Documents for your NIE in Spain

On the day of your appointment, you will have to bring the following documents with you (they can change depending on your status: student or worker):

  • Original identification document / passport
  • Copy of the ID / passport
  • Form EX-18 or Form EX-15 print and filled. 

Based on your status you will also have to show:


Working for a company or a private - documents:

  • Job contract or recruitment commitment. It must contain the name and information of the company and the tax identification number. 
  • Job contract as State Employment Service. 
  • Número de la Seguridad Social, a document showing your social security number as a worker. 


Self-employment - documents:

  • Registration in the Censo de Actividades Económicas
  • Registration in the Mercantile Registry (Registro Mercantil)
  • Substantiation of the registration in the social security as an autonomous worker. 


If you don’t work in Spain - documents:

  • A document that shows you have a private or public insurance (it can be spanish or international).
  • A document certifying that you have enough financial resources to reside in Spain (properties, income tax, credit card with a document that shows the amount of money you have in your account…).


Student - documents:

  • Certification of your enrollment in a public or private educational institution.
  • Certification of a private or public health insurance (the European Health Insurance Card is only if texpirates after the end of your stay in Valencia).
  • Official declaration in order to demonstrate you have the financial resources to live in the country. 
  • If you have a document that certifies you are in the country with an Exchange program of the European Union for students and teachers (Erasmus) you don't need to take any of the previous documents.


*Note to the Non EU citizens: if you are from a non European country, click here to collect information about the documents you need to stay in Spain.

We recommend you to apply for the NIE in Valencia before you arrive to the city, because it can take a long time to obtain an appointment. 

If you have any doubts, contact us, we are here to help you!


See you soon,

helpHousing team




Born in Madrid, I'm passionate about languages and traveling. Always willing to discover new places, I never say no to new adventures.


{{ errors.first('name') }}

{{ errors.first('email') }}

{{ errors.first('comment') }}

Related posts